Following the Stresa meeting of all major European experts in the dairy sector, an agreement was entered into on 1st June 1951 for the protection of the most important and typical European dairy products. The Italian Parliament approved the Law No. 125 on the protection of designations of origin and typicality of main Italian cheeses on 10 April 1954. The following year, precisely on 30 October 1955, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana-Padano, Gorgonzola, Pecorino Romano, Fontina, and Pecorino Siciliano designations of origin were officially acknowledged by the Italian Decree D.P.R. 1269.
This is the first official document on “gorgonzola” designation of origin. While Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano consortia were established in 1954 and 1957 respectively, Gorgonzola cheese consortium was created a few years later. It was only at the end of 1960s, with the Gorgonzola cheese market affected by a massive invasion of poor-quality, cheaper, though similar foreign products, a few producers felt the need to regulate and protect Gorgonzola cheese.
In 1968, two voluntary Consortia were created: the first in Novara at the local Chamber of Commerce by small production businesses of the province of Novara; the second voluntary consortium was established in Milan in the offices of the Italian Dairy Association, mainly consisting of large companies operating in this sector. In fact, that situation could not lead to any acknowledgement by the then Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry for the two Consortia.
Finally, in 1970, precisely on 14 May, the two Consortia were merged and the present Consortium was established in Novara, at the local Chamber of Commerce. 35 producers and maturers of the industrial and agricultural sectors drew up the first Articles of Association and elected the first President, Mr. Gisberto Francesco Invernizzi. In 1971, through a Ministerial Decree, the Consortium was vested with the task to monitor the production and sale of Gorgonzola cheese. During those years, the entity’s tasks, responsibilities, and organisation were defined. The brand of origin to be used on the product was designed and created.
On 1st March 1975, fresh cheese branding started and the ” ” mark on Gorgonzola aluminium wrapping was adopted. These operations were made official by the publication on the Official Journal of the Italian Republic published on 15 May 1975. Meanwhile, the number of Consortium members grew from 35 to more than 100 (107 members in 1976). Through the first contributions from the “joint liability fund” and the support of the members, the first national promotion campaigns started: newsreels, press, and television were the first systems used.
Through the EC Regulation No. 1107/96, gorgonzola cheese was recognised and registered by the European Union in the list of “PDO” products on 12 June 1996. Through a new Decree dated 24 April 2002, the Italian Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry Policies recognised and appointed the Consortium to carry out the activities concerning production regulation proposals; production quality improvement, also in terms of food safety, and in cooperation with the Ministry; protection activities against any misuse; unfair competition actions; counterfeiting; and improper use of protected designation.